The digital revolution, taking into account the challenges induced by scaling and by the needs for dealing with an increasing complexity, for reliability and confidence when handling Big Data and systems of systems, and for safety and confidentiality of simulation and control systems in advanced manufacturing.
Call for proposals (theses)
- Definition, analysis and mitigation of future DDoS attacks
- Cyber-physical systems defense through smart network configuration
- Software-defined in-network security analytics
- Prediction of future threats using exogenous technical and non-technical data sources
- Smart knowledge discovery in databases
- Mixed-representation state estimation for robotics
- Sensitive data protection in online social networks
- Image-based biomechanical simulation of mitral valve closure
- Data selection for the lightly supervised training of deep neural networks in the framework of automatic speech recognition
- Contextualisation of deep neural network-based speech recognition system
- Deep learning based noise reduction approach for ad-hoc microphone arrays
- Developing distributed graph-based approaches for large-scale protein function annotation and knowledge discovery
- Modeling highly flexible RNA-protein complexes by combinatorial assembly of structural fragments
How to apply
In order to prepare a PhD thesis within the Lorraine Université d’Excellence Program, the interested candidate should consult the PhD topics offered in each social and economic challenges.
These PhD thesis topics are proposed by faculty members or researchers accredited to supervise research.
Candidate application period: according to graduate school schedule (visit each topic)
Each candidate may submit an application on up to three separate research topics.
Application analysis period by each graduate school
The graduate school reviews the applicants for a doctoral contract in the relevant disciplines. They check the level of supervision for each supervisor and the situation of trained doctors. Each candidate will meet the laboratory director, supervisor and a representative from the graduate school. This interview is to identify the candidate’s motivations and suitability as a candidate for the PhD project proposed by the supervisor. A recommendation will be made to the graduate school. This will summarize the strengths and/or weaknesses of the application.
PhD grants will include monthly income for the PhD student (roughly 1700 € for research only, complement can be provided for teaching missions) and environment for research in the research unit.
Please be aware that in order to offer a variety of subjects, more positions are posted here than available funding. The LUE executive committee will make the final choice on the granted funding (up to 12 positions), based on the recommendations by the doctoral schools.